18 July 2012

Updated Acne HG Products (Bioderma, La Roche-Posay, Lush)

So, my last acne holy grail acne products post was less than four months ago (with ghetto iphone pictures and all, haha), but after an intense text message chat with a friend about acne products, where I raved about my hg acne products, I came to realize that my line-up of products has changed.

My new line-up includes Bioderma Sensibio/Créaline H2O Micelle Solution, Lush Tea Tree Water, La Roche-Posay Effaclar A.I., and La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Epidermal Recover Accelerator.
Whenever my skin is being problematic, I use all of the above products in the following order:

1.  Bioderma Sensibio/Créaline H2O Solution Micellaire (Micelle Solution):
After I wash my face, I take a single cotton pad (see the type I use in the above picture) and soak it with the Bioderma solution.  I wipe it all over my face to remove any excess dirt and oil that wasn't removed from washing my face with water.  Doing this ensures that my pores are clean and the acne products can be full effective.  Otherwise, I would sealing in any dirt or oil within my skin with any product pile on.

I've written an in-depth post reviewing Bioderma here.

I bought this 250 mL bottle from Murale for $22 CAD.

2.  Lush Tea Tree Water:
I used to use the Burt's Bees Targeted Spot Treatment, but as mentioned in my previous hg acne post, I loathed the smell.  The strong odour limited my use to only night time, just before bed.
I always knew about the Lush Tea Tree Water, but felt it was a bit of a ripoff, thinking isn't it just a small amount of tea tree oil mixed with water?  After stealing some sprits from a new bottle that my boy bought and was trying out, I was hooked on it like a menopausal woman on a cooling fan.

After wiping my entire face with the Bioderma solution, I spray the Tea Tree Water across my entire forehead and down my nose bridge to my chin (down my T-zone).  I also like carrying it around in my bag, especially now in the Summer.  If I'm feeling like a hot, oily mess, I sprits once or twice on my face, and it seems to magically soak up the excess oil... somehow.  Also, if I'm just feeling bleh, a couple of sprits is a nice pick-me-up because it has a really light fresh, herb-y smell (if you don't like that kind of smell, it's ok, cuz it actually goes away really quickly).  Come to think of it, I actually use it similarly to how people are using the Caudalie Beauty Elixir - possibly dupe?

The ingredients are enlisted on the UK website: here.

I bought this 100 mL bottle from a Lush Canada storefront for $8.95 CAD.

3.  La Roche-Posay Effaclar A.I. AND/OR La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator:
I put the and/or because depending on how my skin is at the time, I may either use both or only one of the two.  In any case, it's after my Lush Tea Tree Water.

On the La Roche-Posay website, it says that the Effaclar Duo is supposed to replace the Effaclar A.I., but I can still buy it in my local London Drugs, so I may have to stock up on them... (I keep forgetting to ask the Cosmetic Department Manager whether or not the A.I. will be discontinued at London Drugs).  I noted that I used the Effaclar Duo in my previous hg acne products post, but I don't use it anymore because they've changed the solution and my skin isn't feeling the new solution.

If I have a spot that's already visible or I can feel a spot coming (pain underneath the skin), then I apply the Effaclar A.I. directly onto the spot after my Lush Tea Tree Water dries.  A tiny 1/4 of a pea sized dab of product is enough for one spot.  I gently rub it into the spot with a ring finger (your ring finger has the most gentle touch so you won't push the crap inside your spot further down into your skin).  The product dries quickly and without any colour or film.  You can apply makeup (such as concealer) on top of it without any problems of flaking.
Sometimes, if my skin is a bit red, the A.I. acts as an excellent redness reducer.
Effaclar A.I. contains 0.5% salicylic acid.  It comes in a 15 mL tube, but seriously, a little goes a long way.  I've had a tube since January and I've only used a third of the tube.

If the spot is gone, but I'm left with scarring or a dark spot where the spot used to be, then I just use the Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator.  I apply a  tiny 1/4 of a pea sized dab of it and gently rub it along the area.  It dries quickly, with a slight anti-bacterial film, so I would recommend using this as part of your night routine if you're particularly anal about non-matte-ness, like myself.  How the Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator works is in its name; it speeds up the healing process of your skin and acts as a catalyst in epidermal skin regeneration.  I've used it on dark spots that have been around since my teens, and have noticed significant lightening.
It comes in a 40 mL tube, but a tiny amount goes a long way.

When London Drugs had a 20% promotion on all La Roche-Posay products, I bought Effaclar A.I. for $16 CAD and Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator for $16 CAD.  Both are regularly priced at $20 CAD at London Drugs.

***

Some general things to note about acne treatment:

  • use the treatment directly on the spot, otherwise, it defeats the purpose
  • do not pop the spot, because you will end up spreading it into surrounding pores - also, it will cause scarring
  • do not squeeze the spot, because you will end up squishing the crap inside the spot further down into your pore - this also causes fine lines and wrinkles
  • just let your spot do its thing - resist touching it, popping it, squeezing it, etc.
  • find out which ingredients work best for your skin (Salicylic Acid works best for me)
  • any treatments you use--such as my above recommendations--should be gentle and non-drying

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment